What is a Health Care Home?
The Health Care Home is an existing general practice or ACCHS that commits to a systematic approach to chronic disease management in primary care, which supports accountability for ongoing high-quality patient care. It uses an evidence-based, coordinated, multi-disciplinary model of care that aims to improve efficiencies and promote innovation in primary care services. It is consistent with similar models adopted successfully around the world, including the United Kingdom and New Zealand, and reflects and formalises the attributes of many high performing primary care practices here in Australia.
The approach provides doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals greater flexibility to shape care around an individual patient’s needs and encourages patients to participate in and direct their own care.
Health Care Home Testimonial
Health Care Home services will now have a deferred and phased start this year, under measures released in the 2017 Budget. Twenty practices commenced Health Care Home services on 1 October 2017. The other 180 practices commenced on 1 December 2017.
To see the list of the 200 selected Health Care Homes practices, go to the successful grant recipients’ section on the Department of Health’s Tenders and Grants page.
Refer to the Department of Health website for up-to-date information:
- Health Professionals: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/health-care-homes-professional
- Consumers: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/health-care-homes
- May 2017: Selected Health Care Home practices identified
- October 2017: 20 practices begin Health Care Home services
- December 2017: 180 practices begin Health Care Home services
- Health Care Homes FAQ Booklet
- Payment Information: factsheet
- Patient Eligibility: factsheet
- Stage One Modelling: factsheet
- Health Care Homes and the quadruple aim
- Minimum Requirements for Shared Care Plans
- Evaluation of stage one of Health Care Homes
- Patient Enrolment factsheet
- Allied Health Services provided to a Health Care Home-enrolled patient
Supporting Health Care Homes
Country SA PHN will be providing a range of support to successful applicants to achieve readiness for implementation of the Health Care Home from October 2017. Further updates and Country SA PHN Health Care Home activity information will be provided via email to successful applicants and this web page.