20 May 2016 - Communicable Disease Control Branch
SA Health has been notified of a case of measles in a 4 year old male in metropolitan Adelaide who had recently returned from Bali, Indonesia. The case was in the settings listed below whilst infectious:
- Jetstar flight JQ128 from Bali, arriving Adelaide at 6:30am on Friday 13th May 2016
- Adelaide Airport, between 6:30am and 9:00 am on Friday 13th May
- Blessed Cheese Café, 150 Main Road, McLaren Vale, between 9:30am and 11:30 am on Friday 13th May
- Galilee Catholic School, Cnr Quinliven and How Rds, Aldinga on the morning of Monday 16th May
- Coles supermarket, Aldinga Beach Rd, Aldinga Beach, on the morning of Monday 16th May
- Aldinga Community Kindergarten,63 Butterworth Rd, Aldinga Beach, between 9:00am and 4:00pm on Tuesday 17th May
- McLaren Vale Family Practice, 137 Main Rd, McLaren Vale, between 1:30pm and 2:30pm on Thursday 19th May.
17 May 2016 - Communicable Disease Control Branch
Thirty percent of Neisseria gonorrhoeae strains from South Australia in the first quarter of 2016 had reduced susceptibility to azithromycin, compared to 0.9% to 3.9% for other states. All strains remained fully susceptible to ceftriaxone.
Azithromycin is not a first line drug for treatment of gonorrhoea; it should only be used for patients allergic to cephalosporins or with severe penicillin allergy i.e. anaphylaxis/angioedema/urticaria.