2 June 2017 - Communicable Disease Control Branch
Nationally four cases of locally acquired hepatitis A virus infection have been genotyped with identical sequence to each other and to cases from the 2015 outbreak of hepatitis A associated with frozen mixed berries.
The manufacturer of frozen mixed berries has instituted a consumer level product recall of Creative Gourmet frozen mixed berries 300gm, best before 15 January 2021 distributed nationally and sold through IGA stores, Foodland and other independent grocery stores. The product has been available in independent grocery stores (Foodland & IGA) since October 2016 with most product sold by March this year.
24 May 2017 - Communicable Disease Control Branch
- Invasive meningococcal disease (IMD) should be considered in the differential diagnosis of any systemic febrile illness in any age group.
- A rash is not always present, especially in the early stages of the disease.
- Early recognition, immediate empirical treatment with parenteral benzylpenicillin and urgent transfer to hospital can be life-saving.
- Serogroup W and Y cases have begun to increase in Australia across all ages, including Aboriginal children, and in some cases have had atypical presentations.
- Urgent notification to the CDCB on suspicion of IMD is vital for a timely public health response.