Further measles cases
|- Attention all doctors -|
|Date: 21/09/2016||Contact telephone number: 1300 232 272 (24 hours/7 days)|
Further measles cases
SA Health has been notified of two cases of measles: a 9 month old male and a 22 year old female both from metropolitan Adelaide. These cases are likely community contacts of a previous case who had travelled to south-east Asia. The cases were in the settings listed below whilst infectious:
- Starplex Gym, 18-20 Alexander Avenue, Evanston Park, from 09:30 until 11:30 on Thursday 15 September.
- On the Run, 17-21 Philip Highway, Elizabeth, from 11:30 until 12:30 on Thursday 15 September.
- Elizabeth Shopping Centre, including Aqua Café, 50 Elizabeth Way, Elizabeth, from 12:00 until 15:30 on Thursday 15 September.
- Burra Playground, Bridge Tce, Burra, from 10:00 until 12:00 on Friday 16 September.
- La Pecora Nera (The Black Sheep Cafe), 3 Upper Thames St, Burra, from 12:00 until 13:30 on Friday 16 September.
- Burra Scrumpy Company, 1 John Barker St, Burra, from 13:30 until 14:30 on Friday 16 September.
- Gawler Green Shopping Centre, 4 Tulloch St, Gawler Green, Evanston Gardens from 08:00 until 08:30 on Friday 16 September.
- Costco, 404-406 Churchill Rd, Kilburn, from 13:00 until 14:00 on Saturday 17 September.
- Harbour Town, 727 Tapleys Hill Road, West Beach, from 14:00 until 16:30 on Saturday 17 September.
- Big W, 2 Commercial Ln, Gawler, from 12:00 until 13:30 on Sunday 18 September.
- Gawler Hospital emergency department, from 20:30 Sunday 18 September until 00:30 on Monday 19 September.
- Lyell McEwin Hospital including orthopaedic outpatients, from 10:00 until 11:45 and emergency department from 16:00 until 19:45 on Monday 19 September.
- Gawler Centrelink Office, 23 High St, Gawler, from 12:30 until 14:30 on Monday 19 September.
- Housing SA, Unit 1/4 Seventh St, Gawler South, from 13:00 until 14:00 on Monday 19 September.
- Hyde and Partners Medical Centre, 6 Adelaide Rd, Gawler, from 13:15 until 14:00 on Monday 19 September.
- Elizabeth Medical and Dental, 30 Philip Hwy, Elizabeth, from 14:30 until 15:30 on Monday 19 September.
- Tollgate Motel, 20 Mt Barker Rd, Glen Osmond, from 20:00 until 21:00 on Monday 19 September, and 12:00 until 13:00 on Tuesday 20 September.
- Centacare, 34 Yorktown Road, Elizabeth Park, from 13:00 until 13:45 on Tuesday 20 September.
- Women’s and Children’s Hospital paediatric emergency department, from 14:00 until 15:30 on Tuesday 20 September.
Measles is transmitted via respiratory aerosols that remain a risk to others for up to 30 minutes after the person has left the area. The incubation period is about 10 days (range 7 to 18 days) to the onset of prodromal symptoms and about 14 days to rash appearance. The illness is characterised by cough, coryza, conjunctivitis, a descending morbilliform rash, and fever present at the time of rash onset. The infectious period is from 4 days before to 4 days after the appearance of the rash.
Dr Louise Flood - Acting Director, Communicable Disease Control Branch
For all enquiries please contact the CDCB on 1300 232 272 (24 hours / 7 days)
Public – I3-A2
Download the official health alert here (PDF)